Unconditional Yes is a collaborative participatory project created by artist, Robyn Love, and YOU the Simmons Community, that seeks answer to the question, "Have you ever made a decision with an unconditional yes?" You can answer this question with anything. Examples might be text, photographs, clothing, or artwork-all of which will be displayed in the Trustman Gallery and returned to you.

Friday, February 26, 2010

On Being Young and Female and Saying Yes

Today, as walked home from digging out my car, my neighbor was shoveling his bit of sidewalk.  He is a little younger than me, father to two young children, a playwright and a Republican.  Not sure if any of that description matters but I am trying to create a word picture here.  Since I am on a roll, I will add that he had his sockless feet only half-crammed into his shoes and was only wearing a shirt and pants: no jacket, hat or mittens.

But anyway, as I walked by, he said, "What is this "Unconditional Yes" thing?"  (He is one of my facebook friends and was one of the first people to sign up when I sent out the invitation).  I explained that is was an exhibition/project I am working on for a gallery at Simmons College, an all-women's school in Boston, where I have asked the community to respond to a question about unconditional yes.

"Oh yeah, I like unconditional yeses from young college women."

Sooooooo.....your thoughts?

XOXO, Robyn

2 comments:

  1. I just rolled my eyes. Then my next instinct was to mutter "typical" - and then I stopped myself.

    That kind of makes me really uncomfortable. Not what he said (although I do think the comment is ridiculous) - but the fact that my reaction would be to think that nasty mind set was "typical."

    Maybe he thought he was funny? Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think he thought he was being funny and clever but, I agree, there is something so very wrong with his response as typical. It isn't the first time I have received smirks from men when I mention the words "yes" and "all-women's college". It actually makes me quite angry! And I am no longer the object of desire in this set-up.

    ReplyDelete